Creamy Avocado Pesto Zoodles
I was recently at a friend’ s wedding and the centre pieces they used were fresh herbs. They were beautiful and fragrant and I fell in love with one of the amazing basil plants on our table. At the end I was lucky enough to score this giant flourishing basil plant . I’ve kept it alive (pat on my back) and decided to harvest my little basil leaves to make pesto. Pesto is one of those quick and dirty sauces that you can make at home and tailor it to your liking. I added avocado to mine, so it would not only be delicious but also creamy and high in fat. Thus the creation of Creamy Avocado Pesto. The next decision was what to put it on….
Oh zucchini noodles…how I love thee! If you’ve never made zucchini noodles, you need to start. They are incredibly easy and really only require one additional kitchen gadget. A spiralizer. I have a fancier version of a spritzer that attaches to my kitchen aid mixer, however any handheld or gravity assisted spiralzier will do. I love utilizing zucchini noodles to help our family live a lower carb lifestyle. Don’t get me wrong, when I was in Italy, I was consuming a lot of pasta! However, in my regular everyday life, I try and stick to healthier options that keep my blood sugar in check and my mind sharp. It also keeps my belly happy and healthy because I’m reducing common food sensitivities. I also added diced chicken and cherry tomatoes to the recipe to up the protein and veggie content so it would be a nice balanced meal. Enjoy!
Creamy Avocado Pesto on Zucchini Noodles
SERVINGS: 4 PREP TIME: 15 min COOK TIME: 15 min
- 1 Medium Ripe Avocado
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Cups of Basil
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
- 1/4 tsp Salt & Pepper
- 2 Zucchini
- 2 Chicken Breasts Diced
- 1 Container Grape or Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 1 tsp ghee
- To make pesto add avocado, garlic, basil, olive oil, pine nuts and salt and pepper to a small food processor. Mix until smooth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Set aside.
- Spiralize your 2 zucchini and set aside.
- In a skillet, add ghee and cook chicken until no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes to skillet with chicken and sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Toss in zucchini noodles and combine with chicken and tomatoes and let sit for 1 minute. You want your zucchini to be slightly soft and bright green.
- Coat entire contents of skillet with pesto and serve
- Eat & Enjoy!