3 Tips To Supercharge Your Metabolism & Lose Weight
What Is Your Metabolism?
Metabolism is the process by which your body converts what you eat and drink into energy. This is a complex set of reactions that works even when you’re asleep. This is called your Basal Metabolic Rate, and is dependent on your bodies composition, your sex and your age. So let’s do some calculations.
BMR Calculation for Women: 655 + (4.35 × weight in pounds) + (4.7 × height in inches) – (4.7 × age in years)
BMR Calculation for Men: 66 + (6.23 × weight in pounds) + (12.7 × height in inches) – (6.76 × age in years)
To determine your body’s energy needs, we must also take into account your physical activity level. You will now multiply your BMR by the amount of exercise you participate in.
Amount of Exercise:
Little to no exercise- BMR * 1.2
Light exercise (1-3 days per week)- BMR * 1.375
Moderate Exercise (3-5 days per week)- BMR *1.55
Heavy Exercise (6-7 days per week)- BMR * 1.725
Very heavy exercise (intense workouts twice per day)- BMR * 1.9
The number you calculated is the amount of calories it would take to maintain your current weight. Therefore, if weight loss is your goal, you will want to cut around 200-500 calories per day to achieve .5- 1 pound of weight loss per week.
So How Can We Boost Your Metabolism?
There are many contributing factors to weight gain such as genetic makeup, hormonal controls, diet, exercise and your environment such as sleep and stress.
Even though you may feel like you were stuck with a slo-mo metabolism, there are “boosters” we can add into your daily routine to help increase the amount of calories your burn at rest (ie. watching Netflix). Isn’t that amazing? The three main boosters are Exercise, Super Foods & De-Stressing.
We all know exercise is important and to be successful at creating a new work out regimen, it’s all about establishing a routine. It takes 90 days to make a habit, so stick with it and it will become a no brainer to get to the gym. Need motivation? Ask a friend or family member to come with you, or have a calendar on the fridge to mark off the days or create an incentive to keep you motivated and on track! The goal is 30 mins a day at 60% of your maximum heart rate for weight loss. I know more math! Take (220- your age)*.6. This is where we want to target for!
60% of your max heart rate is : _____________________
2. Top 10 Superfoods To Lose Weight
- Broccoli- packed with phytonutrients, this dark and delicious green can not only help prevent cancer but it also boasts loads of fibre to curb hunger pains. It also has less then 30 calories per serving so enjoy it raw or cooked.
- Grapefruit- a compound in this tangy fruit can help lower insulin levels, the fat storing hormone in our bodies. Adding 1/2 a grapefruit before each meal has been shown to help you loose up to a pound a week. It also has a high water content which can help you feel fuller longer.
- Oats– are packed full of fibre and helps keep your appetite lower. Try staring your mornings with a bowl of steel cut oats to boost metabolism and burn fat.
- Green Tea– grab a hot and steamy cup of green tea daily. Full of EGCG, a powerful antioxidant, green tea can increase metabolism and burn calories. A study showed drinking 5 cups a day can help speed up weight loss by up to two times.
- Coconut Oil- what can’t Coconut oil do? This medium chain triglyceride is less likely to store as fat and is more easily burned as quick energy for the body. It helps boost metabolism and aids in fat loss. Add 1 tbsp daily to smoothies to reap the benefits of this belly blasting fat.
- Protein- meat, fish, nuts/seeds, eggs, cheese, beans and lentils all fit into this category. Protein will help you feel full longer and help stabilize blood sugar. Make sure to have adequate protein at breakfast to keep energy up all day. In addition, the more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn at rest, so building muscle is a must for weight loss.
- Apples– are high in fibre, 5g per apple, which will help you to feel satiated. A study showed that eating an apple before meals improved weight loss outcomes.
- Olive Oil – fats are your friend! Olive oil is part of the Mediterranean diet which has been shown to reduce blood pressure, increase good cholesterol and aid in weight loss. Adding 2tbsp of raw olive oil daily can enhance metabolism and improve overall health.
- Ginger- is not only great as a digestive aid, but can also help to boost caloric expenditure, up to 20% after meals. Try adding this herb to your stir fry dinners or veggies.
- Chia Seeds- protein, fibre and omega 3’s- it’s a trifecta! Great for adding into smoothies or onto a bowl oatmeal, chia seeds plump when added to water and can help suppress your appetite.
Want to add more fruits and veggies to your diet? Try using these tips and tricks to add the good stuff into your diet
Who doesn’t have stress in their lives? The goal isn’t to eliminate stress, it’s our ability to handle stress that makes the difference.
Eating well and exercise aren’t the only players when it comes to fat loss. Chronically high stress can inhibit weight loss and even cause weight gain. During stressful situations, a physiological response occurs and our adrenal glands produce the hormone cortisol. Consistently high levels of cortisol can cause poor sleep, low energy, increased appetite, lowered energy, reduced immune function, poor digestion, lowered libido and you guessed it….. weight gain, especially belly fat. So give your body the break it deserves by helping to reduce your stress levels.
- Exercise- Try exercises such as Karate and Yoga as they have been shown to reduce stress and reduce cortisol.
- Green Tea– Swap your coffee for green tea. Coffee has been shown to increase cortisol up to 30% in 1 hour
- Sleep- Getting a proper nights sleep can help reduce cortisol levels and improve energy and mood.
- Rhodiola–Is an amazing herb that supports the adrenals and reduces stress.
- B-Complex– Will help improve energy and fight against excess stress
- Deep Breathing- Start by adding 5 minutes a day of deep breathing to lower stress.
Need help making a meal plan and improving your diet this year but don’t know where to start? Download my Free 7 Day Clean Eating meal Plan