Healthy Baked Apples
One of my favourite fall desserts is baked apples! It can be hard to find a dessert that’s delicious, easy and healthy, but this one meets all the criteria.
First step is to pick the perfect apple! I usually cook with Empire so that’s what you’ll see in the description. However, you could also cook with Mutsu, Ida Red or a Honey Crisp. These varieties are tart and mingle nicely with the sweet of the brown sugar in this recipe. You could also use golden delicious or royal gala as well, but these are sweeter varieties of apples and the dessert will be more sweet.
The best part about this dessert is how easy it is! There’s only a few ingredients and a few simple steps. It’s the perfect sweet treat for a cool fall evening.
- 4 Empire Apples
- 4 tbsp Organic Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Handful of pecans and cranberries
- Options: you could use raisins or walnuts or oatmeal in the stuffing as well.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Core the apple
- Remove 1 inch of skin off the top of each apple
- Score the sides of the apple so as to let the steam escape
- Mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, cranberries and pecans (or any other items you would like in your stuffing) in a small bowl
- Place apples in individual ramekin dishes or in a casserole dish
- Stuff each apple with the cinnamon sugar mix
- Place the apples in the oven and bake for 40-60 minutes
Not Dairy Free? You could drizzle vanilla yogurt over the top of the apples for an icing like taste!