Healthy Snacks- Roasted Chickpeas
Roasted chickpeas are my new healthy snack obsession! I don’t know if you’re like me, but I can get salt cravings every now and then. Instead of reaching for chips, try reaching for this crunchy and delicious healthy snack option.
The reason why I love roasted chickpeas so much is that they are easy and relatively quick. I’m always looking for ways to help my patients add more fibre and protein into their diets, and for some, this can be challenging. Roasted chickpeas can be the perfect solution. The best part about chickpeas is that they are packed with fibre and protein which can help you feel fuller longer and give you more energy during the day (yes please)!
Kids? These bite sized healthy snacks are perfect for school lunches and little fingers.
Working? Bring a small container to work for a mid afternoon power snack. See you later granola bars!
Shopping/Errands? Keep a ziploc bag in your purse so you can have a quick healthy snack on the go!
There are many options for flavours too! Spicy, sweet, savoury…the possibilities are endless!
- 2 cans chickpeas or you can use about 4 cups cooked chickpeas from dried beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tbsp of coconut oil if Paleo
- 1tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste OR honey and cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drain and rinse beans letting them dry on a paper towel until most of the excess moisture is absorbed, about 30mins
- Spread beans evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Roast chickpeas in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until the beans are crunchy throughout (just test one- if they are still mostly soft on the inside and there’s no crunch, keep baking). Make sure to watch them as every oven is different and may take more or less time depending.
- Immediately (while beans are still hot), toss with olive oil and seasonings. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- They are best the first day, but can be kept in an airtight container for up to 4 days.