Homemade Honey & Lemon Cough Syrup
It’s cold and flu season and with that comes coughing, sore throats and congestion! Today we’re talking about how to get rid of coughs and sore throats naturally. Try making this Homemade Honey & Lemon Cough Syrup with just a few simple ingredients. It’s great for a dry or productive cough, will help to sooth sore throats and supports the immune system. It also takes pretty darn great, if I do say so myself! You can use it for the whole family and is kid and adult approved!
Caution: this remedy is NOT to be used by any child under 1 year of age
What You’ll Need:
Lemon Juice– lemon juice is high in Vit C, helps boost the immune system and also supports mucous break up.
Raw Honey– Raw honey is well known for its anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties and is full of antioxidants. Try and source a local raw honey vendor for the best quality honey. Local is always best especially if your cough is being exacerbate by allergies.
Coconut Oil – Coconut oil has multiple anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties and supports a healthy immune system.
With all their powers combined, this little cough syrup will have you fighting off the infection that’s plaguing your system, reducing the mucous that’s making your cough so annoying and soothing your sore throat. Yes I know….that’s awesome (and simple)!
- 4 tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice- high in bit C, immune boosting and help to break up mucous
- 1/3 cup honey (preferably locally sourced raw honey)- raw honey is well known for its anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties and full of antioxidants. My honey is from Tuckamore Bee Company located in Puslinch.
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- Place all ingredients into a small pot and very gently heat just long enough to melt the coconut oil.
- It can be stored in the fridge for up to a month. Just reheat as needed.
- You can take multiple teaspoons a day when acutely ill and suffering from sore throats and irritating coughs.
There you have it, a quick and simple homemade cough syrup perfect for the whole family.
Did you miss any of the cold and flu life hacks? Check out my Video Series on Facebook for the the 4 Cold and Flu Life Hacks.
Episode #3- Homemade Honey & Lemon Cough Syrup