What Supplements Should I Be On?
A question I am constantly asked by patients and friends is “What supplements should I be on ?”. Although this sounds like there should be an easy answer, it is quite the opposite. A healthy diet full of whole foods and an active lifestyle are always going to be the best form of medicine. However, depending on an individual’s life stage and health concerns, their health may require the addition of certain vitamins, nutrients or herbs.
Although supplementation is very individual, there are certain supplements which can be beneficial to overall health as well as address certain health concerns. In my opinion, the TOP 3 supplements you should consider for you or your family are Fish Oil, Probiotics and Vitamin D3 .
Questions about what supplements are right for you? Ask Dr. Hungler!
Top 3 Supplements of 2014
- Reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease by increasing good cholesterol
- Improving mood, memory and reducing the effects of post partum depression
- It’s an effective anti-inflammatory and can reduce the symptoms of chronic pain, asthma, acne, eczema, rheumatoid arthritis and can be protective against various cancers.
- Fish oils are great for children and adults and can confer health benefits for years to come. Make sure to choose a high quality brand with exceptional purity and void of any heavy metals.
- TIP: Make sure to keep your fish oils in the fridge to reduce the negative effects of oxidation and keep your fish oils fresh.
Probiotics-are microbial mixtures of the beneficial bacteria we need for a healthy digestive system. Probiotics have been shown to be effective for:
- Improving digestive health by reducing constipation and diarrhea
- Enhances the Immune System and can help reduce days away from school and work.
- Can reduce food allergy symptoms and reactions to food sensitivities
- Helps to reduce the symptoms of acne, eczema and asthma
- Probiotics are prefect for infants, kids and adults and should be stored in the fridge.
- TIP: Keep your probiotics in the fridge to keep the live cultures in probiotics….alive !
Vitamin D3- On average, most Canadians are deficient in Vitamin D due to the fact that we don’t see much of the sun for 5-6 months of the year (especially this winter !) Therefore supplementing is important for overall health. Vitamin D3 has been shown to be effective for:
- Improves bone health by helping the body absorb calcium from our diets
- Improves immune function and can help prevent catching the flu
- Reduces the symptoms of autoimmune conditions such as psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Vitamin D3 is essential for infants, kids and adults.
- TIP: A liquid version is the best as it is more highly absorbable compared to tablets or capsules.