Wild Rice & Edamame Salad
Looking for a great recipe to add to tonight’s dinner or bring to your next BBQ? This wild rice and edamame salad is perfect. I found this original recipe at https://www.chow.com/recipes/29466-wild-rice-and-edamame-salad. I made it for a BBQ I had with friends and it was a hit. The salad is rich in fibre, protein and flavour. It’s fast, healthy and is gluten free, dairy free and egg free.
YIELD: 6-8 Servings
TIME: 30 Min (remember to let it chill for at least an hour before serving)[jcolumns]
- 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 4 cups cooked mixed brown rice and wild rice
- 3 medium scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 cups shelled cooked edamame, thawed if frozen (you can find frozen bags of edamame in the freezer section)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and small dice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the almonds in a medium frying pan over medium heat and toast, stirring often, until golden brown (do not let the nuts burn), about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Add the sesame seeds to the pan and toast, stirring often, until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the almonds.
- Add the rice, scallions, edamame, carrots, and cranberries to the bowl with the almonds and sesame seeds and toss to combine.
- Whisk the olive oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, honey, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Drizzle over the rice mixture and toss to combine. Taste and season as needed with more salt, pepper, and vinegar. Cover and chill for at least one hour before serving.